National Humane Alliance Fountain
We want to thank Kellie McClellan, Urban Forester, in Muncie, Indiana and her boss, Harvey Wright at the Urban Forestry Office for providing these pictures for one of the most elaborate of all the National Humane Alliance Fountains - Muncie Indiana's. Known as the "Five Points Fountain" because it was originally located at the intersections of five streets when presented to the city in 1911, the fountain was moved to its current location in Heekin Park along Memorial Drive in 1971. Though several of the fountains had lighting added to them, Muncie's is the most elaborate that we have found so far.
Click on the picture on the left to be able to read the moving story printed on the plaque that was added to the bland side of the fountain at the time of the rededication of the fountain in 1971. Like Derby, Muncie stayed true to the promise that it made to the National Humane Alliance at the time that it accepted its fountain in 1911 - five years after Derby had accepted ours.
Click here for pictures and more information for over 60 other fountains across the United States.
Story posted on May 14, 2014