Springfield Mayor Sanderson received the good news that the National Humane Alliance was willing to donate one of its large fountains to the city as long as it met the requirements and had a suitable location. Lewis Seaver had agreed that the intersection of Main and Locust Streets would be appropriate and he got the approval of the city council. The fountain was put in place by the end of 1907.
We want to thank Cliff McCarthy, Archvist at the Springfield Museum for his help in researching articles from the Springfield Republican which confirmed this history. Sadly, we don't know what became of this fountain, but we'll keep looking.
For more on the National Humane Alliance Fountains click here.