The picture above shows what remains of the National Humane Alliance Fountain given to Vicksburg in 1908. However, the story will soon have a very happy update as Vicksburg is current working on restoring the fountain.
Frederick B. Tilghman, vice president of the National Humane Alliance, had visited the city and approved the site on Monroe Street just south of the Louisiana monument. Though it was approved in 1907, it was not installed until 1909. At the time it was installed, it also included a lighting fixture donated by Colonel S. S. Bullis, president of the Vicksburg Lighting Company.
The fountain currently sits in a place of honor in a triangle formed by Locust, Main and Openwood Streets. The base and bowl still exist. But the top piece including the lions head spigots are missing, but the city has gotten behind the project and they have signed a contract to have a new top piece fabricated to replace the missing part. The base of the fountain is currently buried in the street.
We'll keep you posted on this ambitious restoration project and it's great to see the city restoring this historic piece of its heritage. Update - The city has contracted with the grandson of the original quarry owner in Maine and the process of restoring the fountain continues to progress.
Click here to see some of the early news coverage of the fountain.
For more on the National Humane Alliance Fountains click here.