The Brewster Corset Shop on lower Caroline Street.
The picture was a picture of lower Caroline Street showing the
R.N. Basset Hoop Skirt Shop and Brewster's Corset Shop.Caroline Street was named by
Sheldon Smith after his daughter Caroline. (Minerva and Elizabeth Streets were named after
his other two daughters.) Sheldon Smith was one of the first men to change Derby from a
farming community to an industrial one. He came to Derby in the early 1830`s and was
responsible for the construction of a dam on the Naugatuck River and the building of several mills
along the canal. As time went on factories were built along Main and Caroline Streets
changing Derby into a manufacturing town.
This quiz was produced by Mrs. Blackwell's fourth Grade class at Irving School. The Irving School students wish to acknowledge the following people who submitted correct answers:
Jaime Barriga (Irving School student)
C F Douglass
Back to Derby Home page