Derby Churches

The movement for a Polish speaking Catholic parish in Derby began in 1902. In July of 1905, the parish was organized and services were held first at St. Mary's Church, and then at the hall of the old Whitlock Machine Shop. In the spring of 1906, the cornerstone for the church was laid, and the ceremony was conducted by the Right Rev. Michael Tierney, Bishop of Hartford. The dedication of the new church took place in July of 1907. the cost of building the church was $40,000. Considering the people of the parish were not  wealthy (many not earning more than $1.50 a day, raising the necessary funds was a great accomplishment. The pews were actually put in by members to save the parish the expense of having the work done by carpenters. Erection of the parish school and convent for the Sisters was completed in 1914. 

The First Congregational Church is reputed to be the oldest church in Connecticut.

Continue straight on Derby Avenue about a half mile to the Olde Uptown Burial Ground and founders Commons.

23 St. Michael's Church

24 First Congregational Church


BL00934_.WMF (460 bytes)               mapderby2.gif (5319 bytes)