complex was completed in 1992 which offers baseball fields, softball fields, tennis,
basketball, walking track and picnic facilities in the pavilion.
Beyond the Complex is
Mountain (High Rock) which was purchased in 1693 by an Indian named
Toby who for 12 years was a slave in the family of Captain Ebenezer
Johnson, one of Derby’s prominent citizens and the principal land owner
in this town.
Toby's Mountain and High Rock State Park were once part of
the High Rock Amusement Area. In the 1870's it was comparable at the time to
the Savin Rock Amusement Park in West Haven. Trains came in from New York
and it was not uncommon for 10,000 people to come on any given day to enjoy
roller skating, the dance floor, boating on the river, hiking and
picnicking. Today the park is one of Beacon Falls’ greatest natural
assets. Because of the very poor dirt road that lead's to Toby's Mountain,
we don't advise anyone to make the trip.
Instead, at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill that is
the intersection of Lopus Road Ext. and Cold Spring Road, turn right. At the
first stop sign, take a left. At the next stop sign, take a left over
theDepot Street Bridge
Pent Road Recreation Complex