The town of Beacon Falls, with a population of 5,260
is located in southwest Connecticut where it is bisected by the Naugatuck River. The area,
9.8 sq. miles, an Indian camping ground on which many relics such as arrowheads have been
found, was first settled by colonists from Derby in 1678. The town was incorporated in
1871 on lands from each of the bordering towns: Bethany, Naugatuck, Oxford, and Seymour.
Beacon Falls' principle industries include agriculture, warehouse storage and manufacture
of plastic molding and small hardware.
Due to its strong sense of community, Beacon Falls
was incorporated from Bethany, Oxford, Naugatuck, and Seymour in 1871. The first friction
matches were made here in 1834 by Thomas Sanford, who later sold his "recipe"
for $10.00; the Diamond Match Co. ultimately acquired the formula. The town was named
after Beacon Hill, which historians say was a lookout for colonists to signal the
movements of hostile Indians.