Columbia, SC Fountains
The picture above and the
following story by Joey Holleman are from the April 26 edition of
The State - South Carolina's Homepage.
100-year-old animal fountain will
return to Earlewood Park
By JOEY HOLLEMAN -
A well-traveled, century-old fountain is being prepared
for a new/old Columbia home.
The National Humane Alliance fountain will return this summer to Earlewood
Park, according to Fred Monk, president of the Earlewood Community Citizens
The drinking fountain for animals originally came to Columbia in 1907 for
use at the busy farmers market on Assembly Street. As trucks took the place
of horses in transporting farm goods and the farmers market moved to Bluff
Road in 1951, the fountains were moved, one to Earlewood Park and the other
to Wateree Court, just above Maxcy Gregg Park.
After many years, the Earlewood Park fountain was moved to the front of
Township Auditorium. It was removed in 2009 to make room for renovation and
expansion of the building on Taylor Street, and the leaders of the Earlewood
group asked county council to allow them to include the fountain in
renovations of the park that serves as their community centerpiece, Monk
The fountain is a smooth granite structure designed for water to stream from
the mouths of lion heads into a round, sink-like basin at horse-drinking
level. A lower set of pipes feeds smaller basins for dogs and cats. The
plumbing is being renovated so the water will once again be flowing when the
fountain takes its proposed place in the plaza between the new community
center and the city parks administrative office, set to open this summer.
The National Humane Alliance fountains, in some documents referred to as
troughs, have a rich history. The alliance, founded by animal lover Hermon
Lee Ensign, contracted to have more than 100 of the fountains built in Maine
in the early 1900s. The idea was to give them to cities for uses in areas
where horses needed refreshment.
Click here for an updated version of Columbia's fountain by Paul
Armstrong, who also submitted the above picture..
for a 2009 memory article about the fountain.
New Picture in Earlwood Park:
Posted May 3, 2012 Updated
Dec. 20, 2019
Back to Derby Home page