John Humphreys House

John Humphrey's House

The house to the south is 71 Elm street. In 1775 the Reverend Daniel Humphreys built this house for his son John, a brother of General David Humphreys. About 1854 James Stokes bought this house as it adjoined his, but mainly because of the fine spring on the place. He had the water piped into his house and barn, the first home in Ansonia to have piped water.