The Derby Public Library Seymour Ave.
The Derby Public Library was built in 1902. The library was dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. Holton Wood in memory of their son Harcourt who died in 1897 at the age of twelve. The Woods donated the land, building and $5,000 for books providing that the City of Derby would match funds and upkeep the library.
The architect was Hartley Dennent. he used a granite stone for the outside of the building. The interior ceiling has stenciled patterns that feature signs of the zodiac and mythological characters.
Back to Derby Home page