32 South Cliff Street Churches
Two of Ansonia’s most beautiful churches built on South Cliff Street, parallel the founding of Ansonia. They were organized shortly after the village was founded and held services in wooden structures which fires destroyed.
The First Congregational Church scans a period of 148 years. Founded on April 17, 1850, the 31 Charter members included Anson G. Phelps, founder of Ansonia, who generously gave land and funds toward their first building of stone quarried in Seymour. The church was dedicated in May 1865. The outstanding highlight of this gothic-style edifice are the stained glass windows. Several are the work of Louis C. Tiffany of Killingly, CT, associated with the Tiffanys of New York, and a decorator of the White House in Washington D.C.
Christ Church was was founded in 1849. The building designed by H. M. Congdon & Sons of New York City was constructed of Ansonia granite, quarried at Potter’s Quarry in Ansonia. It is in the English Gothic architectural. The cornerstone was laid in December of 1896, and the consecration of the building was held in January of 1900.
There is a Cliffway that ends at the sidewalk between the two churches. It occupies a place of pride in the history of South Cliff Street. During the latter part of the 1800s and early 1900s, there were many post cards with illustrated sections of the 145 steps climbed by residents living atop the cliff. The Cliffway was used to connect the South Cliff Street Residential area with the Main Street commercial area down below.
Take a right at the stop sign onto South Cliff Street. At the next stop sign, turn left onto State Street.
First Congregational Church