Quaker Farms Historic Homes
(Click pictures for larger photos)

Jonathangriffinhouse.jpg (12275 bytes)
Jonathan Griffin House 1725

Jonathan Griffin House

Located at 491 Quaker Farms Road, this home was built by Jonathan Griffin in 1725 on land purchased from Josiah Perry. legend has it that the first white child born in Quaker Farms was Jonathan's son John. 

The house was later owned by David Tomlinson, a member of the state legislature. When his son Horace owned the house, it served as the Quaker Farms Post Office.

This house underwent major renovations following a fire in 1950.

Carriage House

The Carriage House is located at 486 Quaker Farms Road. It has been lived in since 1869, but before that a carriage manufactory. 

quakerfarmshouse2.jpg (34733 bytes)
Carriage House c. 1800

quakerfarmshouse1.jpg (35201 bytes)
Glenbrook c. 1696


One of the earliest existing homes in Oxford, Glenbrook is located at 429 Quaker Farms Road. The original owner and builder was William Tomlinson who received his land grant on March 8, 1673. The house was probably built about 1696. It has 14 rooms with 2 central fireplaces and 10 fireplaces. There is also a large cellar fireplace used in the original slave quarters.

The original house was much smaller as additions were added in 1814 and again in the 20th century. This latter renovation was done by a Mr. & Mrs. Courtney. He was a New York Circuit Court Judge and was also involved in theatre. The home was the site of weekend sleighing parties for such actor friends as Basil Rathbone.

Mrs. Courtney also endowed the St. Thomas Church in Oxford.

George P Sanford Homestead

Moving along to 330 Quaker Farms Road, we come to the Sanford Homestead dating back to 1750. The style isd Dutch, and it is a one and one-half story building with a central brick chimney and four fireplaces.

An unusual feature of this home is the "secret" cupboard in an upstairs bedroom. The door to the cupboard is small and easily hidden. Inside is what appears to be storage space under the attic stairs, but at the back there is enough room for a full grown man to stand up behind the chimney and be completely hidden.

GeorgeSanfordhouse.jpg (13525 bytes)
George P Sanford Homestead c. 1750

For a definitive look at all the historic homes in Oxford, read Early Houses of Oxford, published in 1976 by the Historic House Committee of the Bicentennial Commission in Oxford. This excellent book also came with a companion map that could be used for a much longer driving tour of over 100 historic homes and structures in Oxford. Most of the information here came from that publication.

BL00934_.WMF (460 bytes)              mapoxford.jpg (5766 bytes)